Slider

Lucy, September 2011

Monday, January 9, 2012

It was a warm September day, and Lucy was finally coming to an age where she was happy most of the time... and she had begun grabbing her feet (I loved this-- Noah never really did it much, so I was inordinately excited to have a foot-grabber this time).... And I realized that my days of opportunity for playing around with my garage light were numbered (I had not done ANY Lucy sessions in the garage yet... And now I was almost out of time)....

So I decided I wanted to piggyback off of THIS amazing session I had seen on Pinterest, beautiful images by the incredible photographer Meg Fish (my gosh she is good... her images are nothing like mine. Her color, the softness, the flood of light.... I don't know how to be this way. I wish it was more intrinsic to who I am...)

And Lucy was nearly the right age for this. Nearly, but not quite, turns out, because I never DID get her to grab her own feet during our session together. What I got, instead, was an inadvertent story of a girl fascinated with her thumb.

And I love them. All of them. I love that I found enough light to make this FEEL the way I was trying to make them feel. I love every face Lucy made. I love how in love with her thumb she was. I love HER. I loved shooting this.... so much so that I kept shooting. And unlike the clean, tidy self-editing Ms. Fish did with her simple 4-image storyboard, I am a terrible self-editor, and cannot cull down as far as I probably should... so instead of a brief little homage to the pinned idea I started from, here are ALL the ones I love from my sun-filled afternoon with Lucy in our little garage.

Just me, my baby ...and her thumb.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

{The meaning of the name Lucy is Light... Perfect, don't you think?}

9 comments:

  1. Honestly, I like yours better!! Lucy is such a sweetheart...beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:15 AM

    Oh my goodness! These photos melt my heart!! Love them! I have a 6 month old baby girl and these remind me so much of her and how fun it is when they become so interested in one thing! What great photos to look back on as she gets older! PS...I adore your work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. Thomas was a thumb baby (still is at 4!), the expressions you've caught so remind me of him at this age. I never thought to try to capture that thumb love, what a wonderful idea and execution. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful photo day- and I love how it is like she is finding her thumb for the first time- she was so into the discovery of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so lovely! But no foot grabbing.....bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Miss Lucy, I really want to steal you away! Beautiful shots, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, girl you are good. I have to say the one where Lucy is just starting to get teary-eyed is probably my fav! You are too dang talented, lady...and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She just has the BEST smiles. And a pretty good sad face. Also important in life to have a good sad face. And I don't care what you say, your photos are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan