Slider

Are You Ready to See My FAVORITE Crafty? Tutorial Week, Day 6

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Oh my friends, I have been chomping at the bit to be able to tell you about my last crafty of this week.... The shining star of my efforts the past few months.. the clever little kit of delights that any child, girl or boy, would LOVE to play with... The treasure I saw in Anthropologie, but refused to pay $50 for... so I finagled a design of my own.

Are you ready to see what you have been working for all week? Are you scared it won't be worth your efforts?? (I'm a little nervous you'll all be like, "I came back ALL week and left comments for THAT? Bah humbug.") Oh I HOPE you find this as charming as I do. **fingers crossed**

Okay... Deep breath. Gonna reveal now:

Presenting.....




My FAVORITE crafty of 2009......





The MAIL BOX!

Um, yeah. a MAIL BOX. Wish there was a more elegant name for it.

But words don't SELL it... Photos do! Looky!





Not just a mail box, but a portable kit of "pretend mail" wonders... Postcards, envelopes, stamps, paper... and a red flag that goes up and down as needed. Come ON. Cute?!?!??? Ya know it is.

This little treasure is made with posterboard, cardstock, felt and fleece... with a healthy dose of Velcro added in. And as much as I want (and intended) to give you a step by step tutorial tonight, there was simply NO TIME to get making a "sample one" to photograph the steps for you. So for now, all I have is the reveal, and the contest, and then the PROMISE that I will come back in the boring bleak weeks of late winter and give you a REAL tutorial here. I warn you, it'll be a doozy. This whole kit probably took five hours, at least. Worth going back to the store and buying the $50 one? Maybe! Ha! But looking back at it, it turns out mine is CUTER. Seriously. Go see for yourself: Felt Play Mailbox. It turns out it was worth it to see this thing only once, but then stew on it for so long... because it took on epic proportions in my mind, and I had to make those visions a reality. But by then, the reality ended up BETTER than the original. Well, in MY opinion, at least.

Okay... want a few more shots? You know you want to see the details!



Hand-appliqued "MAIL" sign... Velcro on the envelopes and postcards, and the contrasting Velcro on the stamps. Play like you are stamping all your notes to your friends!

Some pieces of "stationary" included, for letters to whoever... Mom, Teddy Bear, Santa... And you can write on the postcards if you want, or leave them blank for playing with them again and again.



The envelopes are felt on the outside, and cardstock on the inside, so they will stay sturdy with longtime play.



SO many ways this could be fun... It's portable, so play can happen anywhere... And it could eventually become a fun "message system" between family members... Mom or Dad could write the kiddo a note and tuck it in, even without a felt envelope... Then put the flag up, so when the kiddo comes home from school, they see they have mail. It could be a direct communication route to Santa or the tooth fairy. It could be used for collecting Valentines...

Or if Noah had his way, it could be used as a HOUSE for Lamby. Yeah. He doesn't even CARE about letters. Just that it is PERFECT to house his toys.

Anyhoo.... Yep. That's my Mailbox. Ta-Da!

*

Now... To the final contest information:

~This contest will be a random drawing of qualifying participants

~To qualify for the drawing, you must have left a comment on each day of Tutorial Week, even if it is a few days after the fact.

~I will accept entrants until Tuesday morning at 9:00am (since I am headed into a continuingly FULL and busy few days... I won't have time to devote to preparing the drawing until then!). That means you latecomers can still play!

~At 9:00 am on Tuesday, I will draw a name and photograph it, an post the winner here. The winner gets the whole kit you see above-- Mailbox, 5 envelopes, 3 postcards, 8 stamps, and a stack of stationary.

~ Once the winner is named they can email me their address, and I will have this mailed to them, most likely in time for CHRISTMAS! :) To be used as a gift, perhaps?

And I PROMISE a real tutorial on this project in the coming weeks.

Now... to bed with me. Moving was GOOD, but HARD, and I am a lump of exhaustion. Thanks for playing along this week. I'm so amazed I managed to pull this Tutorial Week off... And I hope you guys get out there and get crafty yourselves, when you get some time. Nothing like seeing something you made with your own two hands, knowing YOU DID IT. So cool!!

Good night, all!

*

69 comments:

  1. Em, I think my heart just skipped a beat! This is my favorite, and I know that every little kid would treasure this mailbox. It is really the coolest toy I think I've ever seen! So, I will now cross my fingers in hopes that I'm the winner! Rest up my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable, you are so creative. Such a cool idea, I'd love to win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just adorable, and so much better than anything that could be bought in a store. Way cuter than the one that inspired it, for sure. I love all the bright and happy colors! Any toddler would be beyond excited to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Em!! :) That is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want it!
    ,..hope I win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Emily, I need that. Really I do. And if I won it, I would totally share it with my kids sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooooo much cuter than the original, it's brilliant! Oh man, do I ever have my work cut out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I.want.that.MAILBOX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! that's just about all she could say, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, my new friend in 2009, are a genius! Can't wait for the tutorial. Are you sure you can't come up with one this week. I don't need pics, directions will do. lol! Just kidding! =P

    Glad the move went well. Now enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it! Ian and I would have a blast playing with this and sending letters back and forth to each other! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Genius!

    That's all I need to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Emily. I love it. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are absolutely right! So much cuter than the store version. You never cease to amaze me. This is brilliant and downright adorable. I can't even begin to tell you how much my kids would love playing with this. All those tiny pieces-are you kidding me?!? They would squeal with delight.
    I wish you energy to do all that is required of you over the next 3 weeks and peace to be able to enjoy the season upon us. (Also to enjoy your new season of change in your life.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Emily! This is fantastic! I've been wanting something like this for Eliana! Can't wait to see your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You never cease to amaze me. What a great mom you are! You are so busy packing and editing and on and on yet you still find time to make the cutest things for Noah. Way better than the store version too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:27 PM

    You do beautiful work in everything you do! Love the mailbox! My son would have so much fun playing. Thanks for sharing. Good luck on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my.....that mail box melts my heart! So sweet...and FUN! Great for the fine motor skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cutest thing I have ever seen. You have some skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Be still my heart. Over. The. Crafty. Top!!!!! The smileykids' great-grandma made us a teeny, tiny cross-stitched mailbox ornament for our Christmas tree years ago, and it has been the hands-down favorite ever since. Especially since some little birdie keeps writing teeny, tiny notes to find inside. Reminds me of Tasha Tudor's "Sparrow Post".

    You have outdone yourself milady. If I don't win it, Imma make it. It's on the top of my Christmas list now.

    And at the finale of the week, I will end with the same word I started with....

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ACK! Ok - here's my long winded confession. In a busy week, I miss a lot of blog reading. And I read my blogs in order of favorites - saving the best for last. You and Miss Soule are always the ones I save for a time when I can really sit down and savor the goodness that is there. And so it is only today - in this moment - that I discover the amazing goodness happening here.

    As always, you inspire me. This mailbox set is simply beyond incredible. All the attention to detail, the lovely rainbow color scheme. I can only imagine all the ways this could find it's way into play and life and all that it good. And you know the English teacher in my is dying over anything that encourages communication!

    Now I'm off to dwell in the other joy that is here! Thanks for making my Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Emily, that mailbox is AMAZING!!! How adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, Love , Love this!!! I want a sewing machine for Christmas. Oh Santa....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! Want it! I agree that it is much more adorable than the one that inspired it. Off to go gush properly over the rest of your crafty tutorials....

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK, can't figure out how to get my name instead of my Google Account info in the comments section. Will you be able to figure out that pinklrt is Lyn(say)???

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am in love with this! Way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. *LOVE* the possibilities for creative play here. Nola also has a lamby that would very likely make it inside this mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So, so, so ridiculously adorable!!! I am in awe of your craftiness, energy and willingness to take on behemoth tasks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. holy cow!! that is great!!! Sadly, I think I am going to have to make 3-one for each of my lil boys!!! This is so not a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it. I would rather win it than make it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. that's so cute and must have taken oodles of work! whoever gets this will love it. adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are so talented! That would have taken me WAAAAY more than five hours...and it wouldn't have looked as good, either. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  33. love em!!!! the flowers are my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am willing to give my left arm for this! I love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WHAAAAA????? This is SO CUTE!!!! Holy cow!! Love this Em!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Unbelievable! I am speechless. And in love.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm commenting again to be annoying and remind you that I blogged about tutorial week, so I can get that extra entry!!! :D

    http://thecarsonsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh so cute and you made 2, wow you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Emily, this is too dang cute!! I love it!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  40. Emily, this is too dang cute!! I love it!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh, my word. My kids would FLIP over something like this. Honestly, my 7-, 5- and 3-yo kids would all love to play with it. Sadly, I don't think I have it in me to create my own (though I'll come back and peek at the tutorial for sure). In the meantime, I'll just cross every finger and toe in the hope that for once I win a drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is darling! I remember being a kid and loving to pretend to send mail to my friends as we played. We scribble on a paper, slip it under the door to the person in the other room and tell them what it said. This craft would make for such fun playtime!

    I hope the move went well. I am totally impressed that you already have the internet up and running. I hope you love your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just left a link on my own blog. I think I'm officially eligible for the drawing now. (???) In any case, THANKS again for the fun reads and incredible inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So perfect, oh, I'm in love. What a great idea, you make me want to be so stinkin' crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Emily, your version is soooo much cuter than the original!! Is it more cost effective to make one than to buy one?

    I am amazed at your inventiveness!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Are you kidding me?!? This is AWESOME. The details are just incredible. And it'd be good for our Nov. kids now, and would still be fun for them 5 years from now. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  47. These are simply fantastic, and ingenious, and FANTASTIC!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I can't believe you did this while moving! You are crazy and amazing and thank you. I love love love the mail box. So so so cute. My girls would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is just the cutest thing, Emily! I can't wait to see your tutorial. I am adding your blog to my google reader immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love love love love love this, and my William will too. Crossing my fingers, here.
    Thank you so much for sharing your crafties with us this week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. aww, this is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  52. oh, and my little niece would have so much fun with this! definitely hope i win, since there's not enough time for me to make it before christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my gosh. You are my craft hero. This is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. That is too cute! I will have to wait on pins and needles for your tutorial...I just don't have the gusto right now to go back and comment on the days I missed. I'll be waiting anxiously!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Fabulous tutorials! I can't wait to see the tutorial on this mailbox!! How sweet is that!, I might make a few pet cages for webkinz, like the box!

    I know a little boy who could use a mail box of love letters for Christmas, winning this would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is so perfect! I love the idea. Will also add this to the MUST make list!

    ReplyDelete
  57. wow that is really cute! This brings back a lot of memories of playing "mail man" with my brother. We would make mail boxes out of construction paper and put them up around the house. I am sorry that I am just now seeing it. If I don't win I want to try and make my own so please do post the tutorial soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  58. This takes the cake. It is, hands-down-the cutest, handmade kids thing I have ever seen. No doubt about it. I love your creativity and the fact you thought of EVERYTHING.

    Do I have time to make one for Santa to bring? I am going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Yours is so much cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I just hopped on from my weekend away thinking you would be gone because of moving or showing us the new digs -- but nooo, you're showing us this ADORABLE mail box?? and a tutorial to come?? I simply MUST get a sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  61. Bryoney is obsessed with our mailbox, so now that we are back at home with a computer, I will be commenting on your other super cute tutorials in the hopes of a fun package under the tree. We had so much fun seeing you guys! I'll be sending along some of Noah's ammature photos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Okay, Even though I am comments number 62, I love the mail box. It definitely cuter than the one you can buy. So that in and of itself is enough to try to make it. Makes me want my sewing machine even more. SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Holy craporonie that is awesome! Emily - you are amazing!!

    Glad you got moved...and sad...I love hearing tales from the mason attic. But I am confident this will bring some peace you guys need in life...

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hello, just wondering if you managed to put together a tutorial for this - it looks FAB! My daughter would love it ... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  65. This Mailbox is amazing, have you posted the Tutorial Yet Emily?

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi...may name's Galuh
    i love your handycraft, very nice.
    I hope i can make handycraft like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. I love love LOVE this!!! Hopefully you will post the tutorial. I want to make this for my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Very nice! For when the promised tutorial? Thank you very much for your dedication.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan