Slider

Snippets of My Current Existence

Thursday, November 29, 2007


...So, I am, literally, a stay-at-home-mom now. With C-section recovery, I am pretty homebound for at least 2-4 weeks, and with a very vulnerable little one, I am not likely to just hang out in the germ-ridden public very much for a while. So here I am, HOME.
It's been a week, now, and here are a few things that have entertained me or given me something to do while being here:

1. Websites
I have taken to breastfeeding and surfing the net at the same time (mostly at the 3 a.m. hour in order to stay awake!). Here are some of the big sites I visit:

Babycenter-- for all my new-mom complaints and questions
Babywhisperer Homepage-- for specific advice on the routine Noah and I are working on
Two Peas in a Bucket-- A scrapbooking community I go to, mainly for the photography side of it.

Etsy.com-- just to browse all the amazing homemade/handcrafted things that everyday artists put up for sale in personalized "shops". It's like going to an art festival!
Go Fug Yourself-- A catty, witty site that tears celebrity fashion mistakes apart. I have laughed aloud more at this site than I have at ANYTHING else online.

YOUR Blog!-- any of the blogs listed on the left, plus any other new blog I discover through new comments on here, links on friends' pages, etc. It is a never-ending bloggy world of discovery!!

2. Activities
A few random activities...
Logic Puzzles-- I blame my coworker Amanda fro reintroducing these little gems to me one day this fall.. she was giving one to her students and I remembered how much I LOVED them as a kid. So I went a bought a big book of them, and found this website, where you can do them online.
TextTwist-- First introduced to me years ago by Sarah R., I pop over to Yahoo Games now and again to play. (Again, usually to stay awake during breastfeeding sessions!)
Craft Ideas-- this garland is something I have been wanting to make since Danielle T., a blogger I admire, linked to it in HER blog. Now her blog shows the progress she has made with it, reminding me that I still haven't started it. So once I get supplies, this will pass some time!

3. Photography
If you hadn't noticed, I am using this time to really get some baby photo practice in... plus Noah is so dang cute that I can't resist the urge to take every moment and preserve it in a photo. Obnoxious, I know... but fun for me! This week's goal has been to get the "professional" shots done, before he gets too big and stubborn to cooperate. The first two weeks are the best time for newborns because they sleep so much and are very moldable. So they say. I find he is ALREADY a bit tricky, kicking out his legs right when I have them perfectly placed, like here:...but it's been fun to try, nonetheless. (Look for more of these shots to come. Unless you guys are bored of the Noah pics... in which case, let me know via comment, as my bro already has. J/K Steven.)

4. Online Shopping
Yikes! Most of the time, I don't buy anything. Sometimes, I slip. Like these things:

A. This is a Victorian style paper "Merry Christmas" banner I bought on Etsy.... Getting ready for the holidays!B. Or this cute Cupcake cap, which I bought as an upcoming baby shower gift for a friend of mine. Seriously, how cute???C. ... haven't bought these, but MAN they are sweet!! Little bootie hightops?? If I was a bit more spendy, these'd be on my baby's feet already. Still, I'm trying to be a BIT responsible. *sigh*
....And lest you think I am ONLY on the computer or behind a camera, I will reassure you that 85% of my stay-at-home-time is actually spent with my beautiful new son, feeding, cuddling, looking upon adoringly (as I am taking a break to do this very minute as he swings in his swing and gazes at the mobile above him.... *PAUSE* ...seriously, how PERFECT is he???), etc.

The main thing I am doing these days is learning how to be a mom.

That is the best snippet of my life these days.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:07 AM

    I am so SO glad that you are enjoying each and every moment you have at home with Noah! You can ONLY do this with your first, trust me! I really took it for granted I think when it was just me and Bailey all the time, and then when Parker came along I had very little time to just sit and enjoy her (or do any of the fun things you're doing in your spare time right now!) b/c I had Bailey running around also! I'll never sit down when #3 arrives! :) Anyway, it just makes me so happy for you that you are taking time to write and remember these fleeting moments in your life as a sahm. Happy Thursday! Oh, and thanks for all the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one could look at him all day :) He is so dang cute!! Good job Em and Joe :) Can't wait to see him! He is already going to be so different by the time I get to him :( Thanks for all the fun links and such!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You little devil... the logic puzzles? Now I'm done! I can't ever seem to get off this computer. Your boy is bee-u-tee-full, seriously so cute. How are the hormones treating you? Sad yet? If not say hallelujah three times, then twirl on your head while twirling your feet as you juggle as many pacifiers as you can, then, you need to chant Gregorian chants as you wink as fast as you can at Noah. Think you can do that? I swear by this gimmick.
    Okay, I check "Go Fug Yourself" probably like three times a day. LOVE IT! Especially when they do the dialogues. Hope your doing well hon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You little devil... the logic puzzles? Now I'm done! I can't ever seem to get off this computer. Your boy is bee-u-tee-full, seriously so cute. How are the hormones treating you? Sad yet? If not say hallelujah three times, then twirl on your head while twirling your feet as you juggle as many pacifiers as you can, then, you need to chant Gregorian chants as you wink as fast as you can at Noah. Think you can do that? I swear by this gimmick.
    Okay, I check "Go Fug Yourself" probably like three times a day. LOVE IT! Especially when they do the dialogues. Hope your doing well hon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE TEXT TWIST!!!! I scored 85,000 + this morning (I did have some help on some of the words), but it was still fun!

    And all my stupid comments aside, I'm not sure there could ever be enough pictures of the little butter pat.

    Love you, sis! And neph! And Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily (Lambson) Southerland,

    I have looked for you. It seems that over the years we ran into each other in some form but never really connected. Nevertheless, you have been in my heart and in my thoughts...
    Noah is a beautiful baby. The way I found you was through Steve's site. I typed in your name as I have countless times, yet this time the dots finally connected to you. Your last name and the name of your son all seemed familiar to me. For that reason, I believe it was meant to be, me finding you here and now. I hope to hear from you soon.

    Your friend,
    Jono Buckley
    (Jo Barney these days)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are lovely and so is your baby... and I LOVE LOGIC PUZZLES! So much! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan